Monday 9 May 2016

Going Deeper...

I'm conscious that I left my last post hanging in Charleston, South Carolina...

When we drive out of there, we're intending to stop off at a big old plantation, called Drayton Hall, to see an unrestored space, preserved just as it was left in the cruel times of old - nasty stuff, but as an A grade student of American slave history, I think it should be looked at, and reflected upon.

Thereafter we drive for an hour to visit Beaufort, utterly unlike our local Beaufort here in regional Victoria, I presume. The classic 1980s film 'The Big Chill' was set in the American Beaufort. It's said to be an old and slightly spooky little town on the windy coast. After that, on the way out, we'll visit the Old Sheldon Church ruins, which are meant to be magic, before we drive on down to Savannah.

It's going to be very hot and sultry, which is an unknown for us. I know what that means in Darwinian terms, but... I also know that I've wanted to visit Savannah ever since I sold umpteen copies of the novel 'Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil' at the Bookshop I worked for in Sydney, back in the mid 90s. I've booked us a classic two story house, a short stroll from Forsyth Park (the focus of the novel). Our place looks like something out of a Steve Martin 'Father of the Bride' movie and is a bit over the top, but hey, why not? It costs no more than many far less ambient places across the town. Again, this is an Air B'n'B find. The trick is to study the online details. I'm very good at that.

I've also booked us a guided tour of the Bonaventure Cemetery for our first day in Savannah, because I feel that's just what one has to do.  We've only got two full days in Savannah, before we fly again. I am sure this is not enough time for a 'go slow' destination like this, but we do what we do on a budget. And we'll wander. The fact is that I know that any time any where is better than none at all, so I am not complaining.  You can capture a whole lot visually, and hold the experience vividly for years, if you're that sort of person.


At 2.30pm on a Tuesday we fly North again. We're travelling to Boston, via Washington. I am worried about that connection. I don't think we have enough time, but the airlines claim we do, all being well... 40 minutes between connections... Huh! United Airlines are notorious for delayed flights, botched connections and lost luggage. I have flown with them before, with no troubles, but not on flights involving change-overs, so I am nervous. Nothing I can do about it though. Will just have to wait with baited breath, and see what happens... 


No comments:

Post a Comment

What am I doing in Venezia?

I'm taking a three week solo trip to Denmark and Northern Italia this June. It will be early Summer up there, and therefore not too tour...