Saturday 21 May 2016

Travel time and planning our days...

In just two weeks, we fly.

When friends ask us how long that journey will be, I've not been sure exactly, coz I really don't think numerically, or in terms of quantifiable units. Since getting home, however, I've pulled out the paperwork and worked it all out:
  • Drive from home to the airport            1.5 hrs
  • Long term car parking                         0.5 hr
  • Checking in 2 hours prior                    2.0 hrs
  • Fly Melb to LA                                  14.5 hrs
  • In Transit                                              5.0  hrs
  • Fly LA to Montreal                              5.25 hrs
  • Immigration & luggage collection       0.5 hr
  • Taxi to the Old Port                             0.75 hrs
I think that's about 30 hours of travel time all up: From our home to our apartment in Montreal.

We leave home at 5.30am Sunday morning and arrive at our two story Montreal place, with spiral staircase and rooftop terrace, at about 9.30pm on Sunday night Montreal time. Montreal is 14 hours behind where we are in the world. It is lucky our friends asked us this question, about timing, as listing it all like this prompted me to realise that I'd best book the long-term parking now, and save $97 by doing so in advance. More spending... And we haven't even left yet!

Our house-sitters arrive the day before we depart, so we'll just have time to explain how to use the oven, griller, dishwasher etcetera, and then we'll be off!

Our friends also asked us about wine and what Quebec peeps drink... We have no idea. I guess we'll find ourselves a local wine-store once we're there, and work it out. That's just part of the fun. I have read that we need to go to something called a SAQ store. Apparently that's the answer. I have to say I would be terribly worried about money if we weren't staying in self-contained apartments throughout. I've pre-paid absolutely everything I can think of, so I'm hoping we'll be OK... Fingers crossed...

With 22 nights on the ground, you can't underestimate the savings involved in buying provisions from the local store, and prepping your own morning coffee, breakfasts and dinners each day.  We will grab lunches out, and often that's the real heart of local food culture, I feel. We'll be out and about each day, from 10 til 5 walking like crazy. That's just what we'll do. And shopping locally will be really interesting, because it's always novel to check out what's on offer in foreign minimarts, especially where English is not the main language! We're independent travellers. Always have been.

There's free wifi in our Quebec apartments as well, so we should be fine for blogging and researching stuff in the evenings. Our QC host Frederick just confirmed this and said "Pretty much all cafes, bars, restaurants and stores have free wifi as well" - Happy news for Australians! We are so backward in these sort of areas...

Right now, there's a doco on local tellie on New Orleans. I feel a teeny bit mean that we're not going there (coz my hub would dearly love to go), but I've been already, pre-Katrina, and while I absolutely adored it, I feel like its all so vivid in my mind still that I just don't need to go back right now.

We all really dig the idea that absolutely everywhere we are going will be new to all three of us, and that's special. And especially so for our daughter. At age twelve, this trip will be something majorly influential for her, at a pivotal age. And I'm pleased that none of it is remotely mainstream. Given the opportunity, most Australian families take their kids to London or Los Angeles, but not us. We're going to five major heritage cities, up and down the U.S. East Coast, with masses of cultural cache, and whatever she learns in the process, under our guidance, it can only be positive. We're pretty pleased about this, and also an itsy bit proud. It's an amazing gift to give her.


2 comments:

  1. How exciting for you. I visited Montreal in 2002 and just loved the city. It has a similar arts vibe to Melbourne. I was a member of the Ballarat delegation at a League of Historical Cities Conference and then Julie and I stayed on for several days. We successfully made the bid for Ballarat to hold the following world conference in 2006. It's a short drive from Montreal to Quebec City and certainly well worth visiting. We took a bus. Would love to return one day. In your East Coast travels of the US will you be going to Philadelphia? If so, I'd encourage you to check out the Liberty Bell and the amazing National Constitution Centre. Enjoy your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would have been so wonderful David. The original reason for our trip was to attend an academic conference on Critical Heritage, but they changed the dates on us, unfortunately. We're not going to Phillie, but one day in the distant future, when we eventually get back to NYC, I'd like to include a train journey down through there to Washington and Richmond, Virginia. So much to see in the world! Thanks for your well wishes.

    ReplyDelete

What am I doing in Venezia?

I'm taking a three week solo trip to Denmark and Northern Italia this June. It will be early Summer up there, and therefore not too tour...