Sunday 10 July 2016

Amusing one's inner travel bug...

The problem with coming home is that if it was a really great trip (which it absolutely was), all one can think about is where to go next. I'm shocking like that. I have a long track record, stretching back to the 1980s, of wanting to book the next trip the moment I get back from the last.

True to form, I have done this already, conceptually, at least. We arrived home nine and a half days ago, and about two nights ago, I identified our little beachside get-away for Summer - That's six months away, which is actually quite late for me, in terms of just starting to plan it now.  I usually book things a year ahead, which is weird, I know, but it's the way I work best. I'm not at all spontaneous with regard to holidays. I like to know I've got something to work towards and look forward to, and having that concept locked in helps me buckle down and work as hard as I can to pull the funds together for whatever it is, whether it's that very occasional big overseas trip, a small interstate trip or even just a few hours drive down the road. This tendency means I almost never have the opportunity to take advantage of those 'seasonal specials' which are far too short notice for me.  Because location is important to me, this is another reason I like to book things in early, so as to also secure a style of place suited to my taste and price-range.

Anyway, what I intend to book for Summer is just five nights by the South Australian coast, as that's my home state. The climate there is always several degrees warmer than it is anywhere on the Victorian coast and a whole lot less crowded. The Air BnB place I've found is a simple, stylishly appointed, one bedroom brick unit, half a block from the beach, for half the price it would normally cost to lease a tiny, grimy beachside cabin in a caravan park at that time of year! J can sleep on the couch. If we book it in by August or so, and for some reason we change our mind (which we won't), we get a full refund, bar the booking (service) fee. From my perspective, having that peace of mind makes it worth the punt.

In any case, it will probably be another seven years until we have a big, by which I mean 'long-haul', trip overseas like we just had. When we do it will involve Scotland and certain parts of Europe. It has to. I've lived far too long to have not yet been to the homeland of my ancestors - I need a full two weeks in Scotland, at least!

In the interim, there's quite a list of Australian destinations we'd like to get to over the next bunch of years, for one reason or another. I'm also hoping to go somewhere special (and cheap!) in South East Asia for my milestone birthday at the end of next year. It's good to have goals - It makes you work harder. And of course, there's a whole lot of domestic and mortgage related goals we have as well, like most people do.

The other problem with coming home is that if you don't have any time to actually recover and recuperate properly, and I haven't, you get knocked out by the first contagious affliction that comes your way. And so it is that I have contracted a particularly mean cold & flu, which I want to kick a.s.a.p., so I can get on with all the things I have on my 'to do' list. I've got work to do, and study too.

I may not blog again for a while, as I have a lot to get on with. So thanks for reading! When I next travel somewhere interesting, I'll be sure to return to this li'l blog. Come to think of it, I'm going to the Bendigo Writer's Festival next month, so maybe I'll type more then. Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What am I doing in Venezia?

I'm taking a three week solo trip to Denmark and Northern Italia this June. It will be early Summer up there, and therefore not too tour...